Find The Right Sydney Granny Flat Builder
When beginning a granny flat project, the builder is one of the most, if not the most, important contractor. Therefore it’s vital to find the right granny flat builder for you. We’ve put together a few tips in this guide to ensure your granny flat builder Sydney is successful for you.
What to be looking for in a builder
There are multiple things you should look out for when choosing the right builder for your granny flat project, these include :
- Quality – Don’t choose second best, Granny Flats are a large project for most mums & dads. Be sure your builder can provide quality not just affordability.
- Efficiency – Make sure you’re confident that your Granny Flat builder can complete the project within the agreed time frame.
- Reliability – The builder should be reliable and organised, they should show up every day.
- Character – You will spend more time with the builder than any other contractor, so you’re going to want to look for a builder you like and get along with.
- Licensing – Never use a builder that does not have the correct licenses that apply to your state and/or local council.
- Insurances – Be sure your Granny Flat builder has all necessary insurances, home warranty insurance, public liability insurance, etc.
- Reputation – Family and friends are a great place to start asking if they have heard of the builder.
- References – Before signing the contract, be sure to ask your builder to provide references in photo form or past projects he/she can organise for you to have a look at.
- Specialty – Builders specialise in different types of renovation or building projects so it is important to find one that has experience with Granny Flats.
Questions to Ask Your Builder
Once you have found a Granny Flat builder you are happy with, there are some questions that you need to ask to ensure that they are the building contractor for the job. Some questions you should be asking are:
- Will you be supervising my Granny Flat project?
- What and how many other projects are you working on?
- What happens if there are any problems with my Granny Flat project?
- What intervals do you expect progress payments?
- Will you clean the work site or organise a cleaner upon completion?
- Do you have the correct licensing and insurance for this work type?
- What amount do you require to begin work?
- What is the estimated completion time on my Granny Flat?
- Can you put beginning and completion dates in writing for me?
- Do you have procedures in place in the event of bad weather? Environmental, Site run off?
- What type of contract do you use? Can I make suggestions we can both agree upon?
- Can I have the total Granny Flat project cost in writing?